I've been asked that question a lot lately, but after speaking with Dr. Shiv Chopra, famed Health Canada whistleblower and one of your best friends, whether you know it or not, I believe it is very important that people understand exactly what we are dealing with here.... and the ramifications go far beyond the scope of the present battle.
Dr. Chopra, a diminutive powerhouse of knowledge of the underbelly of Health Canada, brought me to a new understanding of the real meaning behind Bill C-36, why it contains the language it contains, and what the hidden threat is behind the benign stated intent of the legislation. Following is the government's own explanation of the bill, highlighting any actual variations from C-6, its predecessor.
So what's new in C-36? Essentially, not a hell of a lot. They did not include the Senate amendments, because they don't have to... they've stacked the Senate AND the committees and won't face the same difficulties this year, because their toadies will stop their choice of amendments anyway.
However, in order to "address" the concerns raised by grassroots, they have gone "halfway" in the warrantless search and siezure part, and have included the necessity of warrants for private properties which include home business.... BUT..... these warrants may be obtained by phone or fax! That is an open door to abuse and is totally inappropriate: there are NO circumstances regarding hazardous products which would EVER require such emergent action, unless there is criminality involved, and under THOSE circumstances, the Criminal Code comes into effect, and phone and fax warrants, or "probable cause" then skirt any issue that Health Canada could have.
This, however, is all covered by the Constitution, and can be fought domestically with Charter Challenges, which, by the way, are very expensive; however, with the new Supreme Court Ruling on government breaches, they cannot be denied on financial grounds or it breaches the very act it is meant to uphold, and Canadians need to be aware that they can SUE for compensation.... by Supreme Court Decree.
Circular reasoning on the part of government? Of course. You're not supposed to get it. But this is a very important development for those who are in the natural health industry, especially those who have already felt the brutal touch of a Health Canada raiding party.
The clause on foreign authority controls, however, is where the rubber meets the road.
Notwithstanding the dastardly, rights-chewing actions of what is absolutely a rogue agency that does not even enforce the Food and Drugs Act, the biggest threat within Bill C-36 remains this.... and YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THE RED HERRING GAME THAT IS BEING PLAYED HERE... THIS IS NOT A CLEAN SPORT....
1. C-36's "subject to the dictates of foreign authorities" (read, "our international [contractual] obligations") clauses open the door for ANY of our trade groups to force changes in our health care laws. These include the WTO/WHO, NAFTA, and most injuriously, CETA, which is currently being negotiated.
2. CETA is the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement with the European Union. Note: ECONOMIC AND TRADE. That means that anything economic, including making US responsible for the debts of others as they have done with the Greek bailout, to match the policies of the EU.... AND, including adopting THEIR FOOD STANDARDS FOR THE SAKE OF "FREE TRADE".
3. While many activists around the world have been focused on fighting off the dreaded "Codex Alimentarius" global standards for food (which would seriously destroy our ability overall to produce healthy and sufficient food, as well as to remediate with proper nutritional supplementation, to the favor of pharmaceutical globocorps, and the Monsantos of this world) the European Union has almost identical standards enforced already. We call their rulebook "Codex's Evil Twin", and it has been in place for years. CETA is capable of forcing harmonization with the EU guidelines, long before Codex Alimentarius comes into effect.
4. Back to C-36. Do you see what the threat is now? Codex is a paper tiger. It will be MADE real, in the future, but it's far from ready. The EU guidelines, VIA CETA AND NAFTA, CAN BECOME STANDARD IN CANADA AND THE REST OF NORTH AMERICA BECAUSE OF "INTERNATIONAL CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS", AND AT THAT MOMENT THE PHARMACEUTICAL AND CHEMICAL CARTEL IS IN CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH. YOUR VOTE WILL NOT MATTER. ALL THAT WILL MATTER IS WHAT THE TRADE GROUP WANTS, AND WHAT THEY WANT IS WHAT THE MULTINATIONAL CORPORATE CARTELS WANT. IN HEALTH CARE. IN FOOD. IN ENERGY. IN RESOURCES. IN ECONOMIC POLICY. PERIOD.
5. In essence, what we are seeing is THE END OF DEMOCRACY IN CANADA AND AROUND THE WORLD. Since democracy is defined as rule by majority concensus, and your vote cannot be counted by a foreign committee, and since international obligations trump domestic law, and Canada has only one vote at these tables versus many others, NO MATTER WHAT CANADIANS WANT, IT CAN BE OVERTURNED BY SIMPLE MAJORITY VOTE AT THE INTERNATIONAL LEVEL.
6. Quoth Stephen Harper at the closing press conference of the G20 meeting, when asked about what sort of effects these agreements might have on how Canada governs its economy: " I know some people don't like it, and it is a loss of sovereignty [emphasis his], but it's a fact of life."
7. Quoth Stephen Harper above the Arctic Circle on August 26th, after whizzing across the tundra on an ATV, and being asked whether or not he was licensed to drive one: "I think I make the rules."
by Dee Nicholson, National Health Federation of Canada