While going on an eating binge by snacking on unhealthy foods will only lead to an expanding waistline, having healthy snacks during the day will keep you fit — mentally and physically. Here's how...
Everyone loves snacks. There are even kids that say "snack" is their favorite meal of the day. While some laugh at this, it shouldn't be taken so lightly. Snacks can be really important parts of a child or adult's diet. Snacks give your body an energy boost throughout the day, and they can help maintain your weight because you will be eating less at big meals. Eating less at main meals and having snacks in between will help your metabolism, and you will process food faster when you eat.
Healthy snacking has a lot of benefits. Choosing fruit, yogurt, granola bars, vegetables, and whole wheat grains are better choices than pre-made snacks by cookie and chip companies. The benefits of healthy snacking are that these snacks provide a lot of nutrients and vitamins that many people need but take for granted. They are good sources of energy. Also, they provide fiber to help cleanse the body, again making your bodily systems and functions more efficient.
For your children, one of the major benefits of healthy snacking is that it increases and builds their immune systems. This will mean less medical bills for you! Try giving your children fresh fruit, vegetables like carrots and celery, yogurt, cheese, and nuts. These snacks are not only healthier for your children, but they directly address needed food groups your children should be taking in everyday. Keep your kids away from potato chips, candy, and sugary cookies. These types of snacks usually boost children with energy, but send them crashing after a while. All that your children will be left with are the sodium and fats found in the snacks. Many of these store bought snacks are also salty, which can dehydrate you and/or your child.
- If you find long gaps of time between your meals, it's time to include a few snacks in your diet. Snacking will keep your hunger levels to a minimum and also won't let your body feel like you're depriving it of food.
- Healthy snacks are great for controlling blood sugar levels especially in people who have problems in maintaining them. Snacking improves blood sugar control by providing a ready stream of carbohydrates.
- By supplying your body regularly with snacks throughout the day, you also give your body an energy boost and help you maintain your weight. Since you automatically eat lesser during regular meal times because of smaller snacks during the day, you will help your metabolism, and digest food faster.
- By opting for healthier options like fruits, salads, yogurt, health and whole wheat grains instead of junk food like fries, chips or calorie laden cookies, you stock your body with a lot of essential vitamins and nutrients. Not only are they great sources of energy, but also provide fibre that helps cleanse the body.
- In children, healthy snacking increases and builds their immune systems. While not all kids will be enthusiastic in having juices, fresh fruits, salads, nuts, curd and cheese, make it a habit early on so that they're used to the snacks. French fries, candy bars and cookies are high in fats and sodium and can drain out your child.
Healthy snacking will also help your children at school. When their bodies are not filled with junk, they will feel less sluggish or moody and cranky, and they can perform at their best and achieve their peak potential. The benefits of healthy snacking are all around, and great! So look into snacking for you and your kids. You will never regret it!
Getting your kids to eat healthy snacks can be a huge challenge for a parent. For more healthy snack ideas, visit Easy and Healthy Snacks for Kids and find healthy snack ideas, as well as healthy recipes for meals that your kids will love!