Their are five types of restlessness you should be aware of which disrupt your environment, body, mind and even soul.
1. The first type of restlessness is due to location and the place you are in. When you move away from that place, street or house, you immediately feel better. Chanting, singing, children playing and laughing can change this atmospheric restlessness. When you chant and sing, the vibration in the place changes.
2. The second type of restlessness is in the body. Eating the wrong food or food that tends to aggravate; eating at odd times, not exercising, and overworking can all cause a physical restlessness. The remedy for this is exercise, moderation in work habits and going on a vegetable or juice diet for one or two days.
3. The third type of restlessness is mental restlessness. It is caused by ambition, disturbing thoughts, likes or dislikes. Knowledge alone can cure this restlessness. Seeing life from a broader perspective, knowledge about the Self and the impermanence of everything. If you achieve everything, so what? After your achievement, you will die. Knowledge of your death or life, confidence in the Self, confidence in the Divine, can all help in calming the mind and reduce restlessness.
4. Then there is emotional restlessness. Any amount of knowledge does not help here. Only action for purification, helps. All that emotional restlessness vanishes. Also the presence of the guru, a wise person, or a saint will help to calm your emotional restlessness.
5. The fifth type of restlessness is rare. It is the restlessness of the soul. When everything feels empty and meaningless, know you are very fortunate. That longing and restlessness is the restlessness of the soul. Do not try to get rid of it. Embrace it! Welcome it! Usually to get rid of it, people do all sorts of things — they change places, jobs or partners; they do this, they do that. It seems to help for some time, but it does not last.
Restlessness of the soul alone can bring authentic prayer in you. It brings perfection and miracles in life. It is so precious to get that innermost longing for the Divine. The sharing of experiences and thoughts in the presence of the enlightened one, soothes the restless soul.