Aug 27, 2012 by EDITOR
Natural Healing Remedies: 10 Foods That Fight Inflammation And Pain
Some of the best healing remedies to overcome inflammation also taste fabulous which can't really be stated about prescription medications. Moreover, foods won’t cause the nasty side effects common to most pain medications. Here are ten amazing foods that fight inflammation and pain.
1. Blueberries: Blueberries are excellent anti-inflammatory foods. They increase the amounts of compounds called heat-shock proteins that decrease as people age. When heat-shock proteins are in short supply inflammation, pain and tissue damage is the result.
2. Cayenne Pepper: Ironically, cayenne pepper turns DOWN the heat on inflammation due to its powerful anti-inflammatory compound capsaicin.
3. Celery and Celery Seeds: James Duke, Ph.D., author of The Green Pharmacy, found more than 20 anti-inflammatory compounds in celery and celery seeds in his research, including a substance called apigenin, which is powerful in its anti-inflammatory action. Add celery seeds to soups, stews or as a salt substitute in many recipes.
4. Cherries: While many people opt for aspirin as their first course of action when they feel pain, Muraleedharan Nair, PhD, professor of natural products and chemistry at Michigan State University, found that tart cherry extract is ten times more effective than aspirin at relieving inflammation. Tart cherries have powerful anti-inflammatory benefits with the "highest anti-inflammatory content of any food".
5. Dark Green Veggies: Veggies like kale and spinach contain high amounts of alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium. Both minerals help balance body chemistry to alleviate inflammation.
6. Flax seeds and Flax Oil: Flax seeds are high in natural oils that convert into hormone-like substances in the body to reduce inflammatory substances. Add ground flax seeds to smoothies, atop pancakes or French toast, and many other foods. Flax fiber suppresses appetite and helps support weight loss. Do not heat.
7. Ginger: Dr. Krishna C. Srivastava at Odense University in Denmark found that ginger was superior to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Tylenol or Advil at alleviating inflammation. Ginger tea may alsol help prevent the development of cancer.
8. Raspberries, Blackberries, and Strawberries: In Dr. Muraleedharan Nair’s later research she discovered that these berries have similar anti-inflammatory effects as cherries.
9. Turmeric: Research shows that the Indian spice frequently used in curries suppresses pain and inflammation through a similar mechanism as drugs like COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitors (without the harmful side effects). Turmeric is one of the most powerful ancient herbs with an abundance of health benefits including supporting healthy joint function, promoting radiant skin, improving digestion, and promoting your immune system among many more.
10. Walnuts: Like flax seeds, raw, unsalted walnuts contain plentiful amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids that decrease pain and inflammation. Walnuts are top of the tree when it comes to heart-healthy superfoods, research has shown.