10 Food Combos For Better Immunity, Disease Prevention, Energy And Weight Loss
The healthiest dietary strategies ultimately depend on the right food combinations. One of the best ways to optimize food pairings is to mix foods that are neutral and not overly acidic. Here are 10 food combinations that will make staying healthy and being fit easier.
COMBINATION: Turmeric and salmon PROVIDES: General Anti-inflammatory and Healing Properties
Salmon is low on carbohydrates and high on protein. When the two are combined, the properties of Omega 3 fatty acids present in salmon get a boost and it guards the nervous system against the effects of aging. It also increases the level of HDL (good cholesterol) which improves heart health by keep the arteries clear of bad cholesterol. The combination is also believed to slow tumour growth by keeping the cancer cells from multiplying. Stick to wild salmon or organic varities rather than farmed. DO IT RIGHT: Marinate salmon with tumeric for at least a 1/2 hour. Always gently bake salmon no more than med heat. Curcumin Outperforms Pharmaceuticals and Prevents Disease Without Side Effects
2) COMBINATION: Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and Tomatoes PROVIDES: Better protection from diseases
Tomatoes boast of four major carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene) besides three potent antioxidants (betacarotene, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C) which may help fight cancer and heart disease. These protective chemicals are better absorbed with extra-virgin olive oil, which is high in healthy monounsaturated fats. DO IT RIGHT: Leave the tomato skin on, since it is packed with phytochemicals. Extra-virgin olive oil is the least processed form, so it contains the most beneficial compounds. Store it away from heat and light to prevent it from going rancid. Olive Oil Boosts The Function of Blood Vessels, But Beware Of The Source
3) COMBINATION: Red Bell Peppers and Black Beans PROVIDES: Better Immunity
They look good at the veggie market and are expensive. But here's a good reason to buy them. You'll absorb more immune-boosting plant iron by adding in some red bell peppers on your plate. Iron in black beans is hard for the body to absorb, however, adding a dose of Vitamin C-rich produce like red peppers converts the iron into a type that's easier for the body to use. Red peppers are also heavily laced with pesticides so opt for either green house or organic peppers. DO IT RIGHT: There are great recipes online that show you how to mix your beans with red bell peppers and make the meal a tasty one too. Red Peppers Curb Your Appetite, Increase Metabolism
4) COMBINATION: Eggs and Mango PROVIDES: Firm skin There's no need to apply several products to get good, firm skin. Just eat some eggs and mango, especially now that the fruit is in season. Eggs are naturally rich in amino acids that are essential for formation of skin-plumping collagen. And mango, which is rich in Vitamin C, works with these acids to boost collagen production. This helps build back lost stores in the body, which can significantly improve the appearance of skin. DO IT RIGHT: To give a boost to your next breakfast, pair an omelette with a cup of fresh mango chunks, which supply nearly an entire day's supply of Vitamin C. 17 Reasons Why You Need a Mango Every Day
5) COMBINATION: Broccoli and Tomatoes PROVIDES: Protection against cancer Both are individually known to have cancer-fighting properties, but research has shown that together they are the Hulk of cancerfighting foods. Scientists found consuming tomato and broccoli at the same time was more effective at slowing the growth of cancerous prostate tumours than eating either vegetable alone. DO IT RIGHT: Have one-and-a-half cups of broccoli along with two and-a-half cups of fresh tomato. Broccoli-Based Medicine Against Cancer: Only Nature Can Do The Job
6) COMBINATION: Steel Cut Oatmeal and Strawberries PROVIDES: A healthier heart Steel cut unprocessed oats contain two important phytochemicals called avenanthramides and phenolic acids, which are known to work with Vitamin C to reduce prevent plaque build-up that lead to heart attacks. DO IT RIGHT: Enjoy a half cup of sliced strawberries with your morning bowl of steel cut oatmeal. Why You Need To Add Strawberries To Your Daily Diet
7) COMBINATION: Green Tea and Lemon PROVIDES: A healthier heart Green tea, a rich source of powerful antioxidants called catechins, is known to help improve the heart's health. However, according to studies only about 20 percent of these compounds are absorbed by the human body. Adding lemon juice to green tea has been shown to increase the catechins level to 80 percent. DO IT RIGHT: After brewing yourself a cup of green tea, squeeze in the juice of one whole lemon. According To 17 Clinical Trials, Green Tea Is Linked With Significantly Lower Blood Sugar
8) COMBINATION: Cinnamon and Coffee PROVIDES: Extra energy and quicker weight loss Sprinkling cinnamon on your coffee instead of sugar will not only boost the flavor, but it will also help keep your blood sugar at a healthier level, which prevents dips in your energy and spikes in your hunger level. In a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, cinnamon was found to slow the rate of stomach emptying after meals and reduce the rise in blood sugar after meals to negate more bingeing later. DO IT RIGHT: Consume coffee moderately to advance your health and and a dash of cinnamon (instead of sugar or milk) with every cup. Once Valued More Precious Than Gold, Cinnamon Is The Epitome of Natural Medicine
9) COMBINATION: Garlic and Onions PROVIDES: Full-body protection Both these veggies contain a number of organosulfur compounds and heart-healthy plant chemicals that help keep arteries free of plaque. Some of these compounds have even been studied for their power to detoxify carcinogens in the body. DO IT RIGHT: Most Indian cooking combines the two, however if you are in the mood for something else, the combination works well for soups and sauces. Garlic Proven 100 Times More Effective Than Antibiotics, Working In A Fraction of The Time
10) COMBINATION: Green Tea and Black Pepper PROVIDES: A slimmer waistline Forget crash dieting. After your next meal sip a cup of green tea with a little black pepper thrown in. The combination boosts the absorption of EGCG, a key antioxidant in tea tied to calorie burning, by 130 percent. Experts say the compounds in green tea can affect the hormones that regulate hunger and fullness. DO IT RIGHT: Studies say as little as a half-teaspoon of black pepper can increase the absorption of tea's beneficial compounds. Black Pepper May Be All You Need To Block The Formation of New Fat Cells
Karen Foster is a holistic nutritionist, avid blogger, with five kids and an active lifestyle that keeps her in pursuit of the healthiest path towards a life of balance.